DIY Farmhouse Metal lantern

Hello again.  A few days ago I was looking at my w cheap looking plastic lanterns that I purchased after Christmas for a Dolla. I love finding myself a good deal. Anyways I was looking at them and looking at my one real metal lantern and I wished I had more of the metal one. and then I thought to myself I bet I could paint the plastic to look like metal. And you know what I could! and it looks pretty dang good for fake metal lanterns.



Let's get started

Here is the before. Yeah, they were ok looking but they weren't really my style. 

First off I took out all the balls and removed the plastic fake glass.  Then I painted them with black acrylic paint that you can find at any craft store(I got mine at Walmart). It took two coats for the red lantern and 3 coats for the white. I had to wait for each coat to dry before I applied the next coat. 

I got an acrylic gold metallic paint which you can also get at Walmart or a craft store. I poured a little bit on a paper plate.

I got a flat paintbrush.  And once I had gotten a very little bit of paint on my paint brush I painted little strokes on a could spots. I really was careful not to put very much on my paintbrush because it is harder to take paint off than it is to apply more. 
Once I had applied a small amount the to lantern I began to feather it in.  Spreading the paint that I just applied around to make it look more realistic. make sure you do it right away because this paint dries really quick. 
OOPS! I accidentally put to much paint!
So I just wiped some of the access paint away with my finger or you could use a cloth.
Once you have wiped off your finger and the excess paint from the paintbrush you can feather in the remaining paint to make it look more natural
Finished the painting job.  Now it looks like a brushed bronze metal lantern. 




















Comments

  1. Omg this actually turned out so cute! I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, those are really cute. I love lanterns, I have a few around the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just taught me something new, thank you! You should teach classes : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome tutorial and great tips! The lanterns look perfect - I want to make some for my house now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So excited to try this. I have one that's a horrible salmon color. My dad gave it to me cuz he said he knew I could give it a makeover better than other family members lol. We are remodeling our bathroom and going to use it in there for a night light. This will be perfect!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts